Thursday, September 10, 2009

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

The video produced by Michal Wesch was amazing! It was amazing because it explored student culture. How appropriate for a cultural anthropology class to participate in exploring the world of an average American college student. This video was sending a message to all viewers. To me, the message is, "Courses need to be more interactive, less ordinary, it needs to be more personal, classes are too big, more use of technology, teach something interesting and relative,and maybe we will learn more than what we choose to learn from each class. College is expensive, books are expensive, and who really reads them anyway."
According to the video, and what was written on the white pieces of paper, what I just wrote seems to sum up the message that I inferred. Although I believe that I use all the tools possible to succeed, I am aware of my surroundings and aware of all the students that go through college with this frame of mind. It is unfortunate because many of them don't take advantage of all the opportunities on campus, and maybe it is not entirely their fault why they cannot find the average classroom inviting and interesting. I made an interesting transition this semester. I am only taking courses at the College of Education. I immediately noticed a difference! Classes are more personal and smaller in size, teachers know our names, the subjects are more intimate, the students still searching for a goal to grab on to are not in my classes, and technology is being used more than ever before! My experience here at the COE has been a wonderful! Although I am experiencing a better quality of education, there are still many students in the first, second, and third year struggling to keep their head up in core courses. I believe the video really captured the voice of the student body (still in general studies). The video is very attractive, easy to watch, and interesting. I enjoyed the music because it was trendy, soft, daring, and exotic. The way the video was filmed, with the sudden movements from student to student, captured my attention. I really enjoyed watching this!

No comments:

Post a Comment